Computer Science Department
College of Arts and Sciences
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003
Phone: (575) 646-2464
Email: zheng AT nmsu DOT edu
My research interests are in the broad areas of computer systems. I'm particularly interested in anything related to data storage (e.g., non-volatile memory, file systems, big data & cloud storage, GPU memory, data-intensive computing). I'm starting the Data Storage Lab@NMSU, where we play with the latest storage technologies and strive to advance the reliability and performance for data, for people.
- I'm looking for talented students (research assistantship available)!
- [01/2017] Our preliminary work on file system checkers has been accepted to FAST'17 (Work in Progress)! Congrats to Om et al.!
- [01/2017] One poster accepted to NVMW'17! Congrats to Simeng et al.!
- [09/2016] Our work on parallel file systems has been accepted to SC'16 PDSW-DISCS! Congrats to Jinrui et al.!
- [09/2016] Our work on solid-state drives has been accepted to ACM TOCS!
- [08/2016] I'll serve on the PC of ACM/IEEE IWQoS'17. Please consider submitting your exciting work on QoS!
- [Old "news" ...]
- Torturing Databases for Fun and Profit
Mai Zheng, Joseph Tucek, Dachuan Huang, Feng Qin, Mark Lillibridge, Elizabeth S Yang, Bill W Zhao, and Shashank Singh
Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2014
[ Paper | BibTeX | Slides | Video ]
- Understanding the Robustness of SSDs under Power
Mai Zheng, Joseph Tucek, Feng Qin, and Mark Lillibridge
Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST), 2013
[ Paper | BibTeX | Slides | Video ]
- 2ndStrike: Towards Manifesting Hidden Concurrency
Qi Gao, Wenbin Zhang, Zhezhe Chen, Mai Zheng, and Feng Qin
Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS), 2011 [ Paper | BibTeX ]
- GRace: A Low-Overhead Mechanism for Detecting Data
Races in GPU Programs
Mai Zheng, Vignesh T. Ravi, Feng Qin, and Gagan Agrawal
Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGPLAN Annual Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming (PPoPP) , 2011
[ Paper | BibTeX ]
- CS474 Operating Systems I [Fall 2015, Fall 2016] [Best free OS textbook: OSTEP]
- CS574 Operating Systems II [Spring 2017]
- CS479/579 Special Topic: Modern Storage Systems: Flash, Cloud, & Beyond [Spring 2016]
- CS491/521 Parallel Programming [Fall 2016]
I'm always looking for talented students who are curious about how computer systems work and are interested in improving the design, implementation, evaluation, and application of various computer systems. Feel free to browse through my publications and let me know if anything interests you. If you have experience in building systems, that's great! Let's talk and see if we have mutual interests. If you come from a different background, that's OK, too. As a junior faculty member, I'm more than happy to pass my hands-on experience to you and help you grow and succeed, as long as you are hardworking, responsible, determined, and have the desire to become an expert in a challenging and high-impact area in the near future. [Current students ...]
- Program Committee for ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2016, 2017
- Program Committee for IEEE Annual Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC), 2017
- Program Committee for The 3rd National Workshop for REU Research in Networking and Systems (REUNS), 2017
- Program Committee for The 1st Workshop on Data-Centric Infrastructure for Big Data Science (DIBS), 2015
- Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Storage (TOS), 2016
- Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), 2015
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC), 2014, 2015
- Reviewer for Kentucky Science & Engineering Foundation, 2016
- Panelist for National Science Foundation, 2016
Our research is supported by National Science Foundation.