Prospective Graduates

The Computer Science Department at NMSU currently has approximately 85 graduate students including approximately 35 doctoral students and 13 faculty members (and approximately 220 undergraduate students). Students closely interact with the computer science faculty members in classes, in research labs, and in a variety of academic events. Students also receive advising from the school’s individual faculty members.

The Computer Science Department offers three graduate degree programs. For more information, visit the degree programs page. We also have several scholarships that are restricted to CS majors only. For more information, visit the scholarship page. Finally, if you are curious about becoming a CS student at NMSU, visit the Why CS at NMSU page.

We hope to see you soon!


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Check list before and after you arrive at NMSU

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Questions related to application submission 

Q. How can I contact you? 
A. If you have any questions when you apply for our graduate program (Master’s or PhD), please send emails to gradcs AT 

Q. What is the deadline to apply for your PhD and Master’s programs?
A. There is no specific deadline for the applications. The department generally processes applications within about 1-2 weeks after we receive your complete application package and submit the recommendation to graduate school. The graduate school may take some time to issue the formal admission letter. The graduate school can be reached through email gradinfo AT  

Q. What materials are required if I want to apply for your PhD or Master’s programs ?
A. Please have the following documents ready before you apply. 
    1) your transcripts (undergraduate or graduate (if available))
    2) Personal statement
    3) English test results (TOEFL/IELTS) for international students 
    4) Names of three reference providers
    Then, please go to the application website ( and use the “Apply to Graduate School” button. 
Please note that the computer science department does not require any hardcopy of your documents. Thus, please do NOT submit any hardcopy of the materials to the computer science department. If you are requested to submit hardcopy of any documents, please make sure to ask for the right address and the right person to send your documents to.

Q. What is the GPA requirement? 
A. Please find the GPA requirements from 

Q. Is GRE required? 
A. No. 

Q. (International student) What is the requirement on my English (e.g., TOEFL/IELTS) scores? Can I waive my TOEFL/IELTS exams? 
A. Please find the requirement on English exams from Note that students from some countries can have their TOEFL/IELTS exams waived. You can find the list of such countries from 

Q. Am I eligible to apply if I do not have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science? 
A. Yes. You will be assigned with deficiency courses.

Q. I was admitted to your graduate program. However, I need to change my enrollment semester. What should I do?
A. There is a change of admission semester form which can be found on the graduate school website, You need to complete the form and send it to gradcs AT The department will process it and forward it to Graduate School. The Graduate School will update your enrollment semester. When it has gone through, you will receive an updated admission letter indicating the new semester.

Questions related to financial support, tuition, and graduate assistant (GA) salaries 

Q. What is the tuition? 
    The tuition and fee information can be found from 

Q. How much will I be paid if I get graduate assistantship (GA)? 
A. Please go to and click the “Graduate Assistants Salary Table” link.

Q. What are the GA opportunities? 
A. The department selects excellent applicants to give them teaching assistantships (TA). We will make the decisions in April for applications that we received in the Spring semesters and in November for applications that we received in the Fall semester. If you are not selected to get TA, you are welcome to contact department faculty members for a potential graduate research assistantship (RA). Even you are not offered TA/RA in the first semester, both graduate teaching and research positions are possible in future semesters if you show strong academic performance.

Questions related to visa application

Q. How can I get my visa application materials? 
A. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS,, will process your I-20 form for Visa application. Please contact the ISSS office if you have any questions related to this. 

Check list before and after you arrive at NMSU

Q. What do I need to do after I arrive at NMSU?
A. (1) Attend graduate students’ orientation organized by Graduate School.
(2) Talk with the department graduate advisor (the current graduate advisor is Dr. Huiping Cao). Please make an appointment first before talking to the graduate advisor by writing to

Q. Where can I find my deficiency courses
A. Please talk with (or email) the department graduate advisor (the current graduate advisor is Dr. Huiping Cao).