Class policies and syllabus
Text and reference books
Course schedule (tentative)
Text and reference books:Some of the class lectures/presentations are based on the following two textbooks:
Other books for references are:
- James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross, "Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach," 4th ed., Addison Wesley, 2007.
- Larry L. Peterson and Bruce S. Davie, "Computer Networks: A Systems Approach," 4th ed., Morgan Kaufmann, 2007.
Supplemental readings from a selected set of papers is required for the course. See below.
Useful links for reference and tools/testbeds projects:
- Companion websites for the textbooks Kurose & Ross (4th ed.) and Peterson & Davie (4th ed.)
- IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), resource for RFCs and Internet drafts.
- Download and documentation sites for the ns-2 and ns-3 network simulators.
- The EU Haggle project for situated and autonomic communications.
- Community site for the OMNeT++ simulator.
- Registration and download site for OPNET IT Guru Academic Edition (Windows® platform only).
- The PlanetLab site.
- Utah Emulab network emulation testbed with PlanetLab interface, and extensions for wireless, mobile and sensor networks.
- Wisconsin Advanced Internet Laboratory (WAIL), another Emulab open for external research and experimentation.
- The WAN in Lab (WiL) at Caltech.
- Open Network Laboratory (ONL) at Washington University.
- ORBIT Lab at Rutgers University Wireless Information Networking Laboratory.
- CRAWDAD: A Community Resource for Archiving Wireless Data At Dartmouth.
- MoteLab sensor network testbed at Harvard University.
- Kansei sensor testbed at Ohio State University.
Course schedule (tentative):
Wireless networks basics
KR (6.1, 6.2)
KR (6.3, 6.4), PD (2.8)
KR (6.5, 6.6, 6.7)
Multimedia streaming on Internet
KR (7.1, 7.2, 7.3)
KR (7.4), PD (9.3.1)
KR (7.6), PD (9.3.2)
Internet design philosophy
Papers 1, 2, 3
Internet design principles
Papers 4, 5, 6
Link layer issues
ATM under IP
TCP versions and behavior
Evolution of TCP
TCP and game theory
TCP suitability for multimedia
and wireless networks
Delay friendliness of TCP
TCP over wireless
Routing in Mobile Ad hoc
Paper 17, 18, 19
Routing in MANETs
Routing metric (ETX)
Wireless Sensor Networks
and Internet integration
Paper 21, 22
Paper 23, RFC 4919/4944
Routing in sensor network
Modeling and simulation
of the Internet
Paper 29, 30, 31
Paper 32, 33, 34, 35
Internet traffic model
Internet topology model
Paper 25, 26, 27, 28
BGP routing instability
Route flap damping
Exterior routing (contd)
E2E routing behavior
Worms (How to own)
Worms (How to Own)
Content districution and
Paper 37, 38
Distributed DoS attack
P2P and overlay
Paper 43, 44, 45
Structured P2P and DHT
Indirection and pointer in
Paper 47, 48, 49
I3 and network pointer
Role of NAT in current
and future Internet
Paper 52, 53
Future trends in Internet
Paper 54, 55, 56, 57
Paper 58, 59
- V. G Cerf and R. E. Kahn, "A protocol for packet network intercommunication," IEEE Transactions on Communications, 22(5):637-648, May 1974.
- J. H. Saltzer, D. P. Reed and D. D. Clark, "End-to-end arguments in system design," ACM Trasactions on Computer Systems, 2(4):277-288, November 1984.
- D. D. Clark, "The design philosophy of the DARPA Internet protocols," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '88, Stanford, California, 106-114, August 1988.
- D. D. Clark and D. L. Tennenhouse, "Architectural considerations for a new generation of protocols," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '90, Philadelphia, PA, pp. 200-208, September 1990.
- M. S. Blumenthal and D. D. Clark, "Rethinking the design of the Internet: the end-to-end arguments vs. the brave new world," ACM Transcations on Internet Technology, 1(1):70-109, August 2001.
- D. D. Clark, K. Sollins, J. Wroclawski and T. Farber, "Addressing reality: an architectural response to real-world demands on the evolving Internet," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Future Directions in Network Architecture, Karlsruhe, Germany, 247-257, August 2003.
- S. Raman and S. McCanne, "A model, analysis, and protocol framework for soft state-based communication," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '99, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 15-25, August-September 1999.
- P. Ji, Z. Ge, J. Kurose and D. Towsley, "A Comparison of hard-state and soft-state signaling protocols," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '03, Karlsruhe, Germany, 251-262, August 2003.
- J. S. Lui, Vishal Misra and Dan Rubenstein, "On the robustness of soft state protocols," Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP '04), 50-60, October 2004.
- G. P. Chandranmenon and G. Varghese, "Trading packet headers for packet processing," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '95, 162-173, Cambridge, Massachusetts, August-Spetember 1995
G. P. Chandranmenon and G. Varghese, "Trading packet headers for packet processing," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 4(2):141-152, April 1996.
- P. Newman, G. Minshall and T. L. Lyon, "IP switching: ATM under IP," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 6(2):117-129, April 1998.
- K. Fall and S. Floyd, "Simulation-based comparisons of Tahoe, Reno, and SACK TCP," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 26(3):5-21, July 1996.
- A. Medina, M. Allman and S. Floyd, "Measuring the Evolution of Transport Protocols in the Internet." ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 35(2):37-52, April 2005.
- A. Akella, S. Seshan , R. Karp, S. Shenker and C. Papadimitriou, "Selfish behavior and stability of the Internet: A game-theoretic analysis of TCP," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '02, Pittsburgh, PA, 117-130, August 2002.
- E. Brosh, S. A. Baset, D. Rubenstein and H. Schulzrinne, "The delay-friendliness of TCP," Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS '08, 49-60, June 2008.
- H. Balakrishnan, V. N. Padmanabhan, S. Seshan and R. H. Katz, "A comparison of mechanisms for improving TCP performance over wireless links," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 5(6):756-769, December 1997.
- E. M. Royer, C.-K. Toh, "A review of curent routing protocols for ad hoc mobile wireless networks," IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, 6(2):46-55, April 1999.
- J. Broth, D. A. Maltz, D. B. Johnson, Y.-C. Hu and J. Jetcheva, "A performance comparison of multi-hop wireless ad hoc network routing protocols," Proceedings of ACM MobiCom '98, 85-97, October 1998.
- C. E. Perkins, E. M. Royer, S. R. Das and M. K. Marina, "Performance comparison of two on-demand routing protocols for ad hoc networks," IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, 8(1):16-28, February 2001.
- D. S. J. De Couto, D. Aguayo, J. Bicket and R. Morris, "A high-throughput path metric for multi-hop wireless routing," Proceedings of ACM MobiCom '03, San Diego, California, 134-146, September 2003.
D. S. J. De Couto, D. Aguayo, J. Bicket and R. Morris, "A high-throughput path metric for multi-hop wireless routing," ACM/Kluwer Wireless Networks, 11(4):419-434, July 2005.
- A. Woo, T. Tong and D. Culler, "Taming the underlying challenges of reliable multihop routing in sensor networks," Proceedings of ACM SenSys '03, Los Angeles, California, 14-27, November 2003.
- N. Burri, P. von Rickenbach and R. Wattenhofer, "Dozer: Ultra-low power data gathering in sensor networks," Proceedings of the 6th International conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN'07), Cambridge, Massachusetts, 450-459, April 2007.
- J. W. Hui and D. E. Culler, "Extending IP to low-power, wireless personal area networks," IEEE Internet Computing, 12(4):37-45, July-August 2008.
- V. Paxson, "End-to-end routing behavior in the Internet," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 5(5):601-615, October 1997.
- C. Labovitz, G. R. Malan, F. Jahanian, "Internet routing instability," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 6(5):515-528., October 1998.
- Z. M. Mao , R. Govindan, G. Varghese, R. H. Katz, "Route flap damping exacerbates internet routing convergence," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '02, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 221-233, August 2002.
- J. Li, M. Guidero, Z. Wu, E. Purpus and T. Ehrenkranz, "BGP routing dynamics revisited," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 37(2):5-16.
- Z. M. Mao, R. Bushy, T. G. Griffinz, and M. Roughan, "BGP Beacons," Proceedings of the 3rd ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement (IM '03), Miami Beach, Florida, 1-14, October 2003.
- S. Floyd and V. Paxson, "Difficulties in Simulating the Internet," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 9(4):392-403, August 2001.
- V. Paxson, S. Floyd, "Wide-area traffic: The failure of Poisson modeling," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 3(3):226-244, June 1995.
- M. E. Crovella and A. Bestavros, "Self-similarity in World Wide Web traffic: Evidence and possible Causes," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 5(6):835:846, December 1997.
- G. Siganos, M. Faloutsos, P. Faloutsos and C. Faloutsos, "Power-laws and the AS-level Internet topology," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 11(4):514-524, August 2003.
- Priya Mahadevan, Dmitri Krioukov, Marina Fomenkov, Bradley Huffaker, Xenofontas Dimitropoulos, K. C. Claffy and Amin Vahdat, "The Internet AS-level topology: Three data sources and one definitive metric," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 36(1):17-26, January 2006.
- N. Spring, R. Mahajan and D. Wetherall, "Measuring ISP Topologies with Rocketfuel," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 12(1):2-16, February 2004.
- L. Li, D. Alderson, W. Willinger and J. Doyle, "A first principles approach to understanding the Internet’s router-level topology," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '04, Portland, Oregon, 3-14, August -Speptember 2004.
- S. Staniford, V. Paxson and N. Weaver,"How to own the Internet in your spare time," Proceeding of the 11th USENIX Security Symposium, San Francisco, California, August 2002.
- A. Hussain, J. Heideman and C. Papadopoulos, "A framework for classifying denial of service attacks," Proceesings of ACM SIGCOMM '03, Karlsruhe, Germany, 99-110, August 2003.
- M. Walfish, M. Vutukuru, H. Balakrishnan, David Karger and S. Shenker, "DDoS defense by offense," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '06, Pisa, Italy, 303-314, September 2006.
- A. Ramachandran and N. Feamster, "Understanding the network level behavior of spammers," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '06, Pisa, Italy, 291-302, September 2006.
- J. Dilley, B. Maggs, J. Parikh, H. Prokop, R. Sitaraman and B. Weihl, "Globally Distributed Content Delivery," IEEE Internet Computing, 6(5):50:58, September-October 2002.
- D. Andersen, H. Balakrishnan, F. Kaashoek and R. Morris, "Resilient overlay networks," Proceedings of the 18th ACM symposium on Operating systems principles (SOSP '01), Banff, Canada, 131-145, October 2001.
- A. Akella, J. Pang, B Maggsy and S. Seshan and A.Shaikh, "A Comparison of Overlay Routing and Multihoming Route Control," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '04, Portland, Oregon, 93-106.
- H. Balakrishnan, M. F. Kaashoek, D. Karger, Robert Morris and Ion Stoica, "Looking up data in P2P systems," Communications of the ACM, 46(2):43-48, February 2003.
- I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M. F. Kaashoek and H. Balakrishnan, "Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for Internet applications," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 11(1):17-32, February 2003.
- M. Castro, P. Druschel, A. Kermarrec and A. Rowstron, "One ring to rule them all: Service discovery and binding in structured peer-to-peer overlay networks," Proceedings of the 10th workshop on ACM SIGOPS European workshop, Saint-Emilton, France, 140-145, July 2002.
- Y. Chawathe, S.Ratnasamy, L. Breslau, N. Lanham and S. Shenker, "Making Gnutella-like P2P systems scalable," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '03, Karlsruhe, Germany, 407-418, August 2003.
- I. Stoica, D. Adkins, S. Ratnasamy, S. Shenker, S. Surana, S. Zhuang, "Internet Indirection Infrastructure," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 12(2):205-218, April 2004.
- C. Tschudin and R. Gold, "Network pointers," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 33(1):23-28, January 2003.
- R. Gold, P. Gunningberg and C. Tschudin, "A virtualized link layer with support for indirection," Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Future directions in network architecture (FDNA '04), Portland, Oregon, 28-34, August 2004.
- G. Lawton, "Is IPv6 finally gaining ground?" IEEE Computer, 34(8):11-15, August 2001.
- P. Francis and R. Gummadi, "IPNL: A NAT-extended Internet architecture," Proceedings ACM SIGCOMM '01, San Diego, California, 69-80, August 2001.
- P. Francis, "Is the Internet going NUTSS?," IEEE Internet Computing, 7(6):94-96, November-December 2003.
- S. Guha and P. Francis, "An end-middle-end approach to connection establishment," Proceedings ACM SIGCOMM '07, Kyoto, Japan, 193-204, August 2007.
- L. Peterson, S. Shenker and J. Turner, "Overcoming the Internet impasse through virtualization," IEEE Computer, 38(4)-34-41, April 2005.
- N. Feamster, L. Gao and J. Rexford, "How to lease the Internet in your spare time," ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, 37(1):61-64, January 2007.
- A. Bavier, N. Feamster, M. Huang, L. Peterson and J. Rexford, "In VINI Veritas: Realistic and controlled network experimentation," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '06, Pisa, Italy, 3-14, September 2006.
- J. Turner, P. Crowley, J. Dehart, A. Freestone, B. Heller, F. Kuhms, S. Kumar, J. Lockwood, J. Lu, M.Wilson, C. Wiseman and D. Zar, "Supercharging PlanetLab - High-performance, Multi-application, overlay network platform," Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '07, Kyoto, Japan, 85-96, August 2007.
- GENI Planning Group, "GENI design principles," IEEE Computer, 39(9):102-105, September 2006.
- J. Turner, "A Proposed Architecture for the GENI Backbone Platform," Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/IEEE symposium on Architecture for networking and communications systems, San Jose (ANCS '06), California, 1-10, December 2006.